It is 5:59 a.m. on a Saturday morning. I woke up about a half hour ago and couldn't go back to sleep. Sometimes, I can't turn off the continuing "list" in my head.
Last night was pretty hard for The Boy. He has worked his little fanny off to get ready for this TKD test. He let others (people he very rarely sees and probably will never see again) influence him and what he does.
So, this morning, I am left with the lingering question: How do you teach someone to be true to themselves? (And do it before 9:00 a.m.? Just kidding)
He is a hard worker, but is so easily influenced by others in the vain attempt to fit in. I remember that feeling; I went through it in high school. I loved my friends that I had there, but I didn't really become "me" until college. Being (more or less) responsible for myself was a great experience for me. I learned that I didn't have to do everything that everybody else did. I wish that I could pass that on to The Boy without having to wait until he is a "grown-up" or until he has more self-inflicted set-backs. This whole TKD thing has do not come easily to him. He has worked HARD to learn to do this. He sheds tears because he wants this SO BAD but it doesn't come naturally to him. Do you remember wanting something so bad and having it just out of reach? I sure do.
So, we are left to figure out the next step this morning.
Please pray for my little boy. He went to bed lacking in the self-confidence that he has been working SO hard to earn.
We, as parents, could also use any positive energy. We have to be in two places at once today. Should be a riot.


No comments:
Post a Comment