Saturday, January 22, 2011

The Boy's Room - The Paint

My handsome son, aged 9, has been in a blue funk since we moved into our new place. His old room was BLUE with very vivid accent colors. We used the Behr Disney Buzz Light Year colors and he loved it. When we moved he was pretty upset about leaving his space. Finally, we are at a point that we can work on making his room “COOL.” When asked what he wanted he thought about 2 seconds and responded that he wanted a Harry Potter room.

Now, on the web there are several examples of playrooms and bedrooms done in HP theme, but none really for an older boy. So, I put my designing hat on and thought. Then I surfed and then thought some more. We bought the vinyl wall art of the Hogwarts crest – which is huge. In the package was a huge version of the Gryffindor crest and the other crests were very small. 

amazon.com alternative view RoomMates
So I thought, “Wouldn’t it be cool to paint the wall to look like a castle and then have at least one, if not both, crests in a window like alcove?” But that would mean faux painting the whole wall – which I am not wild about. I called my Mommy who had the answer –paint only part of the wall and the alcove. So that is the plan. The alcoves will fade out to the wall color as if by magic. (I had to throw that in here somewhere!)

Currently on his wall is Behr Toasted Cashew, which isn’t too bad. My thoughts were to use the current paint as the grout and then faux with a darker Behr Classic Taupe and lighter color Behr Sand dollar.  Like they did here http://stores.renstore.com/-strse-template/0607a/Page.bok.

Won’t that be cool? I am still calculating the amount of paint needed but there is the plan. Wish me luck.

No comments:

Post a Comment